Flick through some pages of the book using the slideshow above
With access to archives of The Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St Andrews, The University of StAndrews and other national and private collections, the research has unearthed lots of new material.
- When was the land for the 1st hole actually created?
- Should Auld Daw be remembered as more than just the Ginger Beer seller?
- How was St Andrews saved from terminal decline?
- Was Jamie Anderson ruined by drink and ostracised by his family?
- Why was the Principal’s Nose cut off?
- Who really was George Bruce – the man behind the Bruce Embankment?
- Where was the dramatic scene of the death of Tommy Morris’ wife and stillborn child?
- Why is 8 Golf Place so important?
There are new studies and biographies on Allan Robertson, Father of The R&A John Whyte-Melville, Hugh Philp, Robert
Forgan, Jamie Anderson and his father Auld Daw, Miss Agnes Grainger, James Wilson, Captain Broughton, Robert Chambers, Sir Hugh Lyon Playfair, George Bruce, H.S.C. Everard, Andrew Lang, James Ogilvy Fairlie, clubmakers and the Strath, Herd, Kirkaldy, Rusack, Auchterlonie and Dempster families to name a small selection.